Button Batteries – A message from Health Canada

Do you know the risks related to the use of products containing “button batteries”?

Each year, dozens of children in Canada visit emergency rooms after unintentionally ingesting button-type batteries. These batteries contain harmful substances that can cause serious internal chemical burns or poisoning if ingested. If your child swallows a battery, call a doctor or poison control centre immediately.

Button batteries are often found in:

  • musical greeting cards
  • small electronic devices (like remote controls)
  • children’s books
  • flashing jewellery
  • hearing aids

Batteries can be dangerous and poisonous… be aware.

To find out more, visit: http://healthycanadians.gc.ca/kids-enfants/toy-jouet/batteries-piles-eng.php

About Heritage Lower Saint Lawrence

We mobilize people and resources to support the vitality of the English-speaking community of the region, foster the well-being of all its members and promote its interests.
This entry was posted in Health Newsletter, Newsletter and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s