Wage expectation: $24,000 – $50,000/year
CAREERS REQUIRING TRAINING TWO YEARS OR LESS
Nature of work:
Dental assistants assist dentists and hygienists during the examination and treatment of patients and perform clerical functions.
- Completion of a three-month to one-year college or other program in dental assistance or completion of secondary school with on-the-job training is required.
- Licensing is not mandatory, but is required to perform intra-oral duties in all provinces except Quebec.
- Prepare patients for dental examination and assist the dentist during the examination
- Prepare, sterilize and maintain instruments and equipment
- Educate patients concerning oral hygiene
- Schedule patient appointments and record dental procedures performed
- Take and develop X-rays
- Take preliminary impressions for diagnostic casts
- Fabricate temporary crowns and restorations.