Heritage Lower Saint Lawrence (HLSL) serves English speakers of Bas-Saint-Laurent or the Lower Saint Lawrence region in Québec, Canada. For more about the history and mission of the organization please visit our About Us page.
2018 marks the 200th anniversary of the Metis ”community”, a unique bilingual story that begins with the first settlers of the ”Seigneurie de Métis” and with the first nations who gave it its name. There are tons of activities all year, with an impressive summer program that includes the following:
- Series of 7 affordable classical / vocal concerts (July-August, tickets & 70$ passports available at Heritage)
- Special spoken word / music event with Stéphanie Pelletier and Sébasitien Thériault (July 14)
- Traditional puppet theater (July 24)
- History Talks! mini-conferences
- Historical and photo exhibits at the Metis Town Hall
- Water -boating & safety workshop (August 5)
- Beach party ((August 5)
- Open door event for all the Metis churches (August 5)
- Beachside poetry and cocktails with poet Jean-Paul D’Aoust (August 8)
- Art symposium at the lighthouse (August 11)
- Deep-rooted stories with Robert Seven Crows (November 23)
For up-to-date programming, please consult the Metis 200 Facebook page, or the Metis 200 page on our website : Metis 200 project & activities
In June 2012 we opened the Heritage Cultural Resource Centre and Métis-sur-Mer Bilingual Public Library – the only bilingual public library in Bas-Saint-Laurent! Find out more about our Metis centre here.
February 2018 marked the opening of our first-ever RIMOUSKI location: a versatile resource centre, including a videoconference meeting room, private office, and of course, an English-language library! English services offered on site include free book rentals and special orders, children’s storytime activities, various workshops, bi-monthly health and well-being videconferences and individual help navigating the health and social services system (by appointment).
Please contact us if you’d like to volunteer or to donate books or DVD’s!
For our coordinates and opening hours, please consult our contact information page.
For information about events that are accessible to the English-speaking communities in Métis-sur-Mer, Rimouski and surrounding areas, please see our Community Events Calendar, or request to be included in our mailing list.
For information about local, regional and provincial healthcare resources, please consult the Health Directory which includes information such as emergency numbers, accommodation for medical care, and health and social services organized by territory.
We are currently developing the online format of our Community Newsletter. Back issues of our printed newsletter are available to read online or download from the Newsletter page.